The Cumnock Academy building on Ayr Road has been used as the town’s main secondary school since 1969, swapping places with Greenmill Primary School, who relocated to their current site on the Barrhill Road. The buildings were extended in 1970, with the Social and Recreational Wing being added in 1971.
A state-of-the-art recording studio was installed in the Music Department in 2009, complete with Pro Tools software & a custom-built isolation booth.
Cumnock Academy is a non-denominational, co-educational, comprehensive school, where all religious groups, sexes, and abilities are taught. The pupil roll, taken in August 2011, stands at 881 students, although the building can cater for up to 1800 pupils.
All-weather astroturf pitches were added to the facilities in 2007, and can be used by the community during the evenings and weekends.